Monday, November 11, 2013

The Matter of Brains

(FYI it based sometime in the future)

Every time I step in the operating room a pit forms in my stomach. It's not because I'm nervous,  I have no reason to be considering that I'm one of the best neurosurgeons in the world. Though it took a few years at this job to pin down cause of this pit, I believe I have. The reason I dread going into work each day is remorse. Remorse that the new technology and techniques that use to save lives is being used for such a vain and shallow purpose. About thirty years ago a procedure to safely transplant human brains into another body with few side effects was developed. Right after it past the human tests and was approved by the FDA it was used to save the lives of those who fell victim to tragic accidents who had no other hope of survival. Yet as the years past and more and more people were saved by this method, the aristocracy found a new purpose for it, to extend their life way beyond the norm. The way they can do this is if their body is dying then they simple go and find a new, younger body and have their brains transplanted into their new body. This is endless cycle means that the rich can never die and rule over the poor for as long as they wish. As if living for as long as you wish were not enough, the rich had to take it a step further and change bodies if they thought that their old body didn't meet society's standards of beauty. Creeped out yet? I probably should be creepy out by this or a least a little disturbed but body switching has become a norm in society and it's hard to be disturbed by it. If you haven't guessed it already I'm the head surgeon at the biggest body-switching clinics in the world. Do I think body-switch for eternal life and beauty is moral wrong? Yes a little bit but if you get a paycheck as big as mine you learn to play along with things...